Course DescriptionThis series is a presentation and analysis of the virtues in the music of the top instrumentalists in jazz history, organized by trumpeters, saxophonists, and pianists. Recordings will be played and discussed.
- Saxophonists Sonny Rollins, John Coltrane
- Pianists: James P. Johnson, Fats Waller, Earl Hines, Art Tatum
- Pianists: Nat Cole, Bud Powell, Bill Evans
- Pianists: McCoy Tyner, Herbie Hancock, Chick Corea, Keith Jarrett
- Time: 3:00 PM - 4:30 PM
- Date: Tuesdays, June 30, 30, 30, 30
- Location: Video Catch-up Only
Member - $50
Non-member - $65
One-time guest pass, Member or Non-member at the door - $0.
About the Instructor
Mark C. Gridley, Ph.D., is a professional jazz saxophonist-flutist-bandleader who taught jazz history and appreciation at Case Western Reserve University, where he developed America's most widely used introductions to jazz: Jazz Styles: History and Analysis and its abridged edition, Concise Guide to Jazz (Prentice-Hall). His books have been translated into six foreign languages. His articles appear in numerous academic musicology journals as well as Groves Dictionaries of Music and Encyclopaedia Britannica. Gridley has been honored by the Educational Press Association of America’s Distinguished Achievement Award, and he is listed in Marquis Who’s Who in America.
Upcoming programs presented by Mark Gridley.