Course DescriptionIn this exclusive program, Dr. Taylor Hagood will conduct a summer book club. Unlike large lecture events, this program will take place in small discussion sessions. Four books, four meetings—participants will read the books, and Hagood will lead the discussion of them. It is important, for discussion purposes, that attendees complete each book prior to the weekly meeting. Don't wait to register. This series is limited to 15 participants to create a more intimate environment and provide greater access to the OLLI instructor.
- Zora Neale Hurston, Their Eyes Were Watching God: Set in Florida, partly in Belle Glade, this novel deals with a strong female lead whose story builds to a hurricane on the muck.
- James Agee, A Death in the Family: A fictionalized memoir set in the east Tennessee mountains dealing with the death of a father and all the matters surrounding it.
- Erskine Caldwell, God's Little Acre: A short, crazy novel about poor whites in Georgia, with a man who digs for gold on his land and another who takes part in a strike in a cotton mill, builds to quite a climax.
- William Faulkner, The Hamlet: One of the most readable of Faulkner's novels, dealing with the rise of a poor white man in the country from a nobody to the guy in charge. Like the Caldwell selection, very funny.
- Time: 3:30 PM - 5:00 PM
- Date: Tues., September 10, 17, 19, 24
- Location: Continuing Education Building, 31-D, Rm 201
Member - $100
Non-member - $130
One-time guest pass, Member or Non-member at the door - $35.
About the Instructor
Taylor Hagood, PhD is professor of American literature at Florida Atlantic University. He has published several books, including Faulkner; Writer of Disability (winner of the 2014 C. Hugh Holman Award for Best Book in Southern Studies), has lectured in venues throughout North America and Europe, and was a Fulbright Professor at the University of Munich (2009-2010).
Lifelong Learning Professorship of Arts and Letters, 2014-2015
Upcoming programs presented by Taylor Hagood.
|Type||Number||Instructor||Course Title||Add to Cart|
|4wk||F542BD||Taylor Hagood||The Gilded Age Fridays, November 1, 8, 15, 22: 12:30 pm - 2:00 pm|
|One-Time||FPL12115||Taylor Hagood||The Million Dollar Quartet Wednesday, December 11: 7:00 pm - 8:30 pm|
|One-Time||FPL12062D||Taylor Hagood||Charleston! Charleston! Friday, December 6: 12:30 pm - 2:00 pm|
|4wk||SUM243D||Taylor Hagood||Summer Book Club Tuesdays, September 10, 17, 19, 24: 3:30 pm - 5:00 pm|