Course DescriptionWorld War I and II took their toll on humanity, but the lessons they provided did not prevent nations from making war on each other. In these films, we realize the toll any war can take on men, and not just on the battlefield.
- The Beautiful Country: Vietnam, 2014 - A shy, young Vietnamese man who, in the aftermath of the war, embarks on a personal journey with a young beautiful woman aboard a refugee ship to the US in search of his estranged American father.
- Tangerines: Georgia, 2015 - War in the Apkhazeti region of Georgia,1990. Ivo, an Estonian man has stayed behind to harvest his crop of tangerines. During a bloody conflict outside his door, a wounded man is left behind and Ivo is forced to take him in.
- A War: Denmark, 2015 - Company commander Claus Pedersen and his men are stationed in an Afghan province. During a routine mission, caught in heavy crossfire, Claus makes a decision that has grave consequences for him and his family back home.
- Joyeux Noel: France, 2005 - In December 1914, six months after "the war to end all wars" began, an unofficial Christmas truce on the Western Front allows soldiers from opposing sides to gain insight into each other's way of life.
- Time: 7:00 PM - 9:00 PM
- Date: Mondays, October 1, 8, 15, 22
- Location: Barry and Florence Friedberg Auditorium, Boca Raton Campus
Member - $50
Non-member - $65
One-time guest pass, Member or Non-member at the door - $20.
About the Instructor
Shelly Isaacs is the founder and host for Cafe Cinematheque International, sharing his passion for foreign language film in venues throughout South Florida. As a creative director/writer/producer and director in advertising, Isaacs specialized in film, TV, and radio promotions. Shelly holds an MA in Media Ecology Studies from New York University, where he taught graduate-level courses in cultural studies with an emphasis on film. In 2009 he launched Cinematheque at Sea, making his program available on luxury cruises throughout the world.
Upcoming programs presented by Shelly Isaacs.
|Type||Number||Instructor||Course Title||Add to Cart|