Course DescriptionTaste in art and conversation are fascinating subjects. Preferences are eclectic and topics discussed often depend on a particular theme. In this course we will look
and admire the acquisitions of some of the greatest private international collectors, visit their unique salons, and marvel at their spectacular purchases. European, American, historical and avant-garde works of art will be viewed and interpreted. The lectures will be enhanced with visuals in the form of images, films, and archival materials.
- Brilliant Purchases: Henry and Lousisine Havemeyer were pioneering American patrons of the arts. They assembled an extraordinary collection of Antique and Impressionist works.
- Charmed Circles: Luminous salons and "at homes" in Europe and America: Gertrude and Leo Stein, The Walter Arensbergs, and others.
- Glamour, Politics, and Society: The aristocratic Sassoon family of Great Britain and, the talented Henry Gays of Paris.
- Proud Possessors in America: J. Pierpont Morgan, the Rockefellers, and Joseph Hirschhorn, etc.
- Society at its Zenith: Mrs. Palmer Potter, Henry Clay Frick and Katherine Dreier.
- The Avant-garde: John Quinn, Michael and Sara Stein, Claribell and Etta Cone.
- Museum Founders: Isabella Stewart Gardner, Gertrude Vanderbilt Whitney.
- Off the Beaten Track: Peggy Guggenheim, Huntington Hartford, Robert and Ethel Scull, and Herb & Dorothy Vogel.
- Time: 12:30 PM - 2:00 PM
- Date: Wednesdays, January 15, 22, 29; February 5, 12, 19, 26; March 4
- Location: Lifelong Learning classrooms, Continuing Education Building
Member - $100
Non-member - $130
One-time guest pass, Member or Non-member at the door - $20.
About the Instructor
Terryl Lawrence, EdD, earned her doctorate in the Arts from Columbia University. She has had numerous exhibitions of her paintings and photographs in New York and Florida and is the recipient of many awards, including a national grant in the Humanities. She currently teaches Art History and Mythology at Palm Beach State College and Broward College and is a published writer.
Upcoming programs presented by Terryl Lawrence.
|Type||Number||Instructor||Course Title||Add to Cart|