Course DescriptionIn a time when the eyes of the Western World are drawn to Russia and her role on the world stage, many of us are interested in learning more about the fascinating artistic history of that nation. This series is designed to bring attendees closer to the Russian culture with both its dark side and its humanity. The character and lives of important rulers and the intellectual and passionate music, painting, and performing arts that have brightened and enriched all of society will be discussed. Included in the talks will be archival materials in literature and art.
- The Tsars - Russia's Reigning Monarchs, Good and Evil
- Catherine the Great - Her Rule is Considered the Golden Age of Russia
- The Silver Age of Elegance
- Moscow and St. Petersburg
- The Great Art Collections
- Jewish Theater and Marc Chagall
- Sergei Diaghilev and the Ballet Russe
- Contemporary Russian Art
- Time: 12:30 PM - 2:00 PM
- Date: Weds., October 16, 23, 30; November 6, 13, 20, December 4, 11
- Location: Continuing Education Building, 31-D, Rm 103
Member - $100
Non-member - $130
One-time guest pass, Member or Non-member at the door - $20.
About the Instructor
Terryl Lawrence earned an EdD in the Arts from Columbia University. She has had numerous exhibitions of her paintings and photographs in New York and Florida, and is the recipient of many awards, including a national grant in the Humanities. She wrote the preface to Chaim Potok's Artist in Exile and has taught photography, drawing and art history in many public and private institutions. She currently teaches Art History and Mythology at Palm Beach State College and Broward College.
Upcoming programs presented by Terryl Lawrence.