Course DescriptionThe Poetry of Love & Sex is a series where each week six poems will be explored, moving chronologically from 1450 to today. During each session, poems will be projected on to the big screen, and will be dissected to their formal elements to gain a better understanding of how each poem addresses our theme of love and sex. Furthermore, by covering the poetry chronologically, attendees will gain a better understanding of the evolution of how poets have addressed this theme. Finally, on the last day the presenter will read some of his favorite modern poems on this subject and wrap up the experience with some final thoughts on the topic. Attendees will hopefully be inspired to write poetry, read poetry and, perhaps, even discover some more intimacy in our own lives.
- 1450-1633: Thomas Wyatt, William Shakespeare, and John Donne
- 1648-1842: Robert Herrick, Anne Bradstreet, Andrew Marvell, William Blake, Robert Burns, and Robert Browning
- 1845-1923: Edgar Allan Poe, Thomas Hardy, Emily Dickinson, Robert Frost, T. S. Eliot, and William Butler Yeats
- 1926-Today: Dorothy Parker, Theodore Roethke, Howard Nemerov, Robert Hayden, James Dickey, and Elizabeth Bishop
- Time: 12:30 PM - 2:00 PM
- Date: Thursdays, October 31; November 7, 14, 21
- Location: Continuing Education Building, 31-D, Rm 103
Member - $50
Non-member - $65
One-time guest pass, Member or Non-member at the door - $20.
About the Instructor
Jeff Morgan, Phd, is an English professor at Lynn University, and the author of Sarah Orne Jewett's Feminine Pastoral Vision: The Country of the Pointed Firs and edited a 2003 edition of her novel. His latest book, American Comic Poetry, appeared in 2015. An educator for nearly 40 years, Morgan is also the author of numerous essays and poems. He earned his BA in English from Ohio University, his MA in English from Pan American University, and his PhD in English from Case Western Reserve University. He lives in Boynton Beach with his wife, Dana.
Upcoming programs presented by Jeff Morgan.
|Type||Number||Instructor||Course Title||Add to Cart|
|4wk||F442BD||Jeff Morgan||The Poetry of Love & Sex: From 1450 to TodayThursdays, October 31; November 7, 14, 21: 12:30 pm - 2:00 pm|
|4wk||W242BD||Jeff Morgan||The Nineteenth Century Origins of American Feminist Literature Tuesdays, February 4, 11, 18, 25: 12:30 pm - 2:00 pm|